Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Stellar's Last Post of 2017...For Better or For Worse

I'm Stellar, welcome to Stellar in Neverland, and I KNOW I promised that I would make a list of my favorite songs of 2017 to end the year. But for a few reasons, which I'll go over in a little bit, I decided to abort that idea. So how am I going to end the year? Random rambling about the year as a whole, as well as me listing off what I got for Christmas, because why not?
This represents how I felt about the year pretty well, TBH.

Let's begin with answering the question I know you're wondering based off of my intro: WHY AM I NOT DOING MY FAVORITE SONGS LIST? Well, I was originally planning on doing it and a large part of it was written until I really started thinking about it and I concluded a few things.
1. It was WAY TOO LONG. Which, yeah, I had expected. I knew it would be really long, so I was gonna split it into two parts for your convenience. The problem was most of it was fluff. I could've easily trimmed each section about each song into about five sentences, but I'm too lazy to rewrite, and besides:
2. I've already talked about most of the songs on the list in other posts. Like, half of the list was in the Fall 2017 Playlist, and I made references to other songs on the list and my enjoyment of them in other posts, like the two Songs I Don't Know The Names Of posts and the homecoming post. I really wasn't adding anything new.
3. I'm really not feeling all that great. I've been feeling really cold and tired (which means that I'm 99% likely to get a fever, because those are ALWAYS my fever symptoms) and I have a really sore throat. It shouldn't be anything serious, but it's taking a little bit of a toll on my ability to write really long posts like that.

I'm not making a full retrospective of the year like I had planned to with the songs list, but I still want to recap how the year went for me. And for me personally, this year blew. Everybody likes to talk about how 2016 was a horrible year, but minus all the political stuff and celebrity deaths, I actually had a really good 2016! That was the year I got into Fall Out Boy and Panic! At The Disco (among other bands), and despite those bands being labeled as “emo”, they were why my happiness was at its peak in 2016. 2017 was the complete opposite. I’m not gonna say I was depressed during 2017, but for a lot of it, I was in a terrible mood. I dealt with drama with my friends and having to put up with people who made me want to scream every time I saw them. School put a lot of stress on me, as well as starting to drive, and I made a ton of stupid mistakes I regretted instantly. On top of all that, my band director, whom I look up to greatly, was diagnosed with cancer, adding even more stress to the pile. Last year also had some sucky moments, but the happiness I got from the music I was passionate about significantly outweighed the bad moments. The big difference between 2016 and 2017 for me was that I really didn’t have a constant refuge this year like I did in 2016. However, there were a few good things that happened to me in 2017. I went to some amazing places, had a blast with my friends when there wasn’t drama going on, got my first iPhone, began playing the bass clarinet, and started a blog where I created things I was genuinely proud of.

Now, I'm going to end this post by listing off my Christmas presents because I got some cool things I would like to share. Think of this as being like a haul video on YouTube, but in text form hahaha.
  • One of my family's traditions that we love is Christmas Eve Eve, which is where my mom makes a really big dinner (steak and crab legs for this year, yum!) and we exchange presents amongst the parents and the kids. This year, my present (as well as my brother's) was supposed to be my iPhone 7, but I got it about two months early because my parents figured that if they were going to be paying for the phone service, then we should get the phones then. 
  • In band, we do a Secret Santa tradition this year. Obviously I'm not going to reveal who had me, but they gave me a pair of fuzzy socks (a recurring theme in this post, which you'll see), Sour Punch candy, and a box of Sweet Tarts. We did that on December 22nd.
  • For Christmas Eve Eve, my parents gave each of the three kids envelopes. We opened the envelopes to find pieces of paper with pictures on them of the Badlands, the Field of Dreams, and Mount Rushmore. We found out that we're going on a road trip over the summer, which I'm really excited for! I love traveling and I've never been to any of those places, so I look forward to seeing places I've never seen before.
  • On Christmas morning, we got our presents from "Santa". I got some pretty cool stuff:
    • This year, the school music department started selling music-themed merchandise. I got a sweatshirt, sweatpants, and a pom-pom hat. I'd post pictures but I'm not going to reveal my school's name for obvious reasons.
    • A pair of suede boots that I've already worn a few times and LOVE
    • A pair of purple Under Armour tennis shoes
    • Just Dance 2018, which I have only played once because my brother got Madden 18 and has therefore been hogging the TV
    • The Awesome Game of Meme, because memes
    • Turtles All The Way Down by John Green and Far From The Tree by Robin Benway
    • A pink leather tote with a really cool design on it
    • A box of stuff from Bath and Body Works, including a scented candle, body wash, and a bunch of lotion
    • Two more pairs of fuzzy socks, these two I believe are from Bath and Body Works as well. One of the pairs has penguins and the other has polar bears.
  • Then on Christmas Day I go to my grandma's house on my mom's side. At her house, I got:
    • Cash. I knew I was getting some because my grandma just straight-up told me she didn't know what to get me so she'd get me cash to spend on whatever I wanted. I'm not gonna say how much though.
    • 3 Take 5 bars, because Take 5s are the best candy in the world
    • 2 boxes of peanut butter M&M's because peanut butter M&M's are the second-best candy in the world
    • A bunch of brain teasers
  • Then we have the stuff I got yesterday at the party I go to with my grandma and my aunts and uncles on my dad's side:
    • A colorful sweater
    • A pair of earrings with shamrocks on them because my family on my dad's side is very Irish
    • More cash
    • Stickers
    • One last pair of fuzzy socks (which I am NOT complaining about because fuzzy socks are my favorite thing ever)
    • A Barnes and Noble gift card
    • A clarinet ornament, which I was really excited about because I play clarinet
    • Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls by Elena Favilli and Francesca Cavallo, which I'm excited to read because I'm a feminist and I love learning about inspiring women.
If I remember correctly, that's all I got. I'm sorry if this post wasn't what you expected and if it seems a little rushed, but this is what I want it to be right now. Next week's post will mark my first of 2018, and it will probably be a Pitch Perfect 3 review. It might also be a 2-in-1 review with The Greatest Showman, but I don't even know if I'm seeing that. I'm Stellar in Neverland, and I'll see you next year. Peace!

Stellar

No comments:

Post a Comment