Wednesday, October 11, 2017

First Impressions #1- Songs I Don't Know The Names Of (Apparently?)

Hi, it's Stellar, and welcome to Stellar in Neverland! I have one update that I guess I could do after the updates because it correlates to my post but I don't have any other updates so here you go.
-I'm starting a new series called FIRST IMPRESSIONS! I suppose "Life" and "Top Tens" could technically also count as series, but I like to think of this as my first. How it will work is I will listen to songs of my choosing I've most likely never heard before (that will usually have a common theme), write a little bit on what I think of them, give them a recommendation if I feel they deserve one (or if I remember to), and rate them on a scale of 1 to 10. I don't know how frequently I'll do this but I hope to make it a regular series on Stellar in Neverland.

So there's your explanation of what First Impressions is. One day I was just on YouTube and I saw this video called SONGS YOU DON'T KNOW THE NAME OF. I clicked on it, thinking it sounded pretty interesting. We've all had those songs where we've kept hearing it on a commercial or something and thought it was really cool and catchy but had no idea what song it was. I watched the video expecting it to be full of songs like that, but to my surprise, I didn't really know any of the songs! This inspired me to make the First Impressions series so I could listen to the songs and see if I could find any new jams to add to my playlist. So that's what I'm going to do. Friendly reminder: I don't know most of these songs so don't judge me if I say something stupid. Also this is just my opinion so if you disagree with me that's fine, just don't get butthurt about it.

1. "Younger Now" by Miley Cyrus
This song is by Miley Cyrus, who I'm pretty sure every single person reading this knows. I actually know this one because I watched the 2017 VMAs where Miley performed it (and had one of the few good performances, seriously the VMAs sucked this year). I like the vibe and the message of the lyrics about how she's not afraid of being herself. Only issues for me are that the chorus doesn't rhyme AT ALL and the intro is a little wonky, but those are nitpicks. If you like country-ish music, I would recommend it. 7.5/10
2. "Rainbow" by Kesha
I've always had a soft spot for Kesha's music, but her 2017 music has really been something special. This is unlike any other song I've heard from her. This song sounds like it could be used in a Disney movie (let's just ignore the fact that she uses the f-bomb a few times). It sounds GORGEOUS. Kesha's voice is so beautiful and emotional, and the lyrics are inspiring considering everything she's been through. If you think you'll hate this song because it's Kesha, you should still listen to it because it sounds nothing like her old stuff (which I still love, but I can get why someone wouldn't) and it's awe-inspiring. 9.5/10
3. "Silence" by Marshmello ft. Khalid
I don't know much about Marshmello, but I know Khalid from his song "Location", which I love. I really like Khalid's voice and I should probably get more into his music. This song is really good and I'm definitely adding it to my playlist. I love the beat drop and the buildup to it, and Khalid sounds really good. If you like EDM-pop like the Chainsmokers, you'll probably like this song (it's better than pretty much every Chainsmokers song I've heard btw). I can totally see it becoming a big hit. 8.5/10 
4. "Lonely Together" by Avicii ft. Rita Ora
This is my first time hearing this song, and the first impression is pretty positive. I'm surprised this one hasn't become a hit yet, because it just sounds like a #1 waiting to happen. I don't actually know that much of Rita Ora's songs, but she sounds fantastic here. The beat drop is also excellent and weirdly laid-back. This isn't my favorite song of all time, but I can see it becoming a massive hit, and I do like it a lot, so that's something. 8/10
5. "Rake It Up" by Yo Gotti ft. Nicki Minaj
I somewhat know this song, and even though I have a soft spot for dumb hip-hop like this, I can't get into this one at all. I can barely even tell what Yo Gotti's saying, and while that's normally not a problem for me, it is here. Nicki's probably the best thing about the song, but her verse is clearly not her best. She spends the first part rhyming "China" with "China", and it's one of my big pet peeves when people rhyme words with themselves. Even though I feel like I should like this song, I don't really care for it. 4/10
6. "Caught In The Middle" by Anastacia
I had never heard of Anastacia before this song so I didn't know what to expect from it. I guess it's pretty good, but I can't see myself listening to it over and over again. I like the strings in the instrumental. The chorus is pretty strong and the bridge is arguably even better. Anastacia's voice is unique in a good way. This is objectively a fantastic song, it's just not something I'm constantly going to be wanting to listen to. 7/10
7. "Marmalade" by Macklemore ft. Lil Yachty
Just from looking at these two artists, I can already tell that my brother (who really likes both of them) would LOVE this song. This one's got a pretty carefree pop-rap vibe and I can see it getting popular. The lyrics are cheesy but funny ("Watching Toy Story 3, that's a great f**kin' movie" made me laugh out loud). I also really like the piano beat. The big problem with it is the autotune, which I don't have a problem with normally, but here it's unnecessary and sounds sloppy. Still, Lil Yachty disses Donald Trump at the end of his verse so I can't hate this song too much. 6.5/10
8. "OMG" by Camila Cabello ft. Quavo
This song is by Camila Cabello, who was formerly a member of Fifth Harmony. I've never liked her voice, but she actually sounds nice here. The beat is really cool. The repeated sample of the choir has a chilling vibe, and the flute riff in the background is amazing. I wish it was featured more in the song. Quavo's rap verse is okay. The song would still be good without it but it's fine. Still, Camila has another song out called "Havana" that's way better. 7.5/10
9. "Feel It Still" by Portugal. The Man
This is one of the songs on this list I know. It's gotten some radio airplay and I'm pretty sure it's on some commercials. And holy crap, I'm OBSESSED. The chorus of this song is probably the most infectious I've heard all year. Seriously, listen to it once and you'll be singing "ooh, I'm a rebel just for kicks" all day. I love how unique this song is from every other song to get popular this year. It has an indie vibe but it's really dancey and catchy. I hope more songs like this get popular. Also, Miley Cyrus did this song for her Lip Sync Battle on The Tonight Show and it is amazing so I thought I'd share it (it starts at 2:32). 10/10
10. "Fortune" by Krewella ft. Diskord
I'm letting you know right now that I didn't listen to these songs in the order they're listed and I only put them in that order because that's the order they are in the video. I bring this up because this is the last song I listened to. It's an EDM song like a lot of the ones I listened to, but it's quite different from the other ones. It's more dubstep-trap then the other, more tropical-inspired ones that permeate this list. It's not my personal favorite, but it's fine. If you like "Don't Let Me Down" by the Chainsmokers, you'll like this song since the two songs sound quite similar. 6.5/10
11. "Champion" by Fall Out Boy
Oh yikes, Fall Out Boy. Now don't go thinking I hate them (because I don't), it's just that last year I went through a phase where I practically worshipped them and I'm unable to listen to any of their music without thinking of those cringey times of my life. After last year's cringe-fest, I've pretty much stopped paying attention to them so this is the first of their new music I've heard. This one's okay, but it's disappointing considering that they've made some really good songs. The lyrics are really generic and lack the snarky Fall Out Boy charm I've come to expect from them, and the beat is more poppy than it should be considering FOB is a rock band. The vocals are really good, though, and the chorus is catchy, so I guess this one isn't a total waste of my time. 6.5/10
12. "Back To You" by Louis Tomlinson ft. Bebe Rexha and Digital Farm Animals
This one is by Louis Tomlinson, who you probably know best as a former member of One Direction. All of the 1D boys have released solo music to varying results. This isn't my favorite former 1D member single ("Sign of the Times" by Harry Styles is), but I like it. I like how Louis and Bebe's voices fit together and the beat is pretty cool. This isn't my favorite song ever but I'd recommend it, I guess. 7/10
13. "A Lie" by French Montana ft. The Weeknd and Max B
This kind of song isn't for everybody, but I guess I like it. I really like the beat, it's interesting in a good way. The two rappers are okay, but The Weeknd is definitely the highlight for me. His hook is fantastic and pretty catchy. It's not my favorite, but it's pretty decent. I definitely prefer French Montana's other song from this year, "Unforgettable", though. 6.5/10
14. "Butterfly Effect" by Travis Scott
I like some hip-hop, so I expected to love this song, but I don't for some reason. It's not that it's HORRIBLE (although I can totally see someone who isn't into the genre thinking that), it's just not my favorite. The chorus is fine, but it feels like it just repeats without stopping. I don't actually think it's used that much, but it feels like it's just the same thing over and over again. The verses aren't memorable, and I probably won't be able to recall how they go unless I listen to the song again. The beat's pretty good, though. This isn't the worst song ever, I was just expecting a little more. 6.5/10
15. "Goodbye" by Echosmith
I know Echosmith from their songs "Cool Kids" and "Bright" and I thought they sort of faded away afterward. Now they're back with this new song "Goodbye" and I actually like it quite a bit. It's got more of a poppy vibe than the other two songs I know from them, and it's all the better for it. It's very chill and a nice song to listen to. I love the lead singer's voice. It's calming and really pretty. The lyrics are also pretty good. "You cover up the poison with poetry" is in particular a really good line. This is a good song. 7.5/10
16. "Rain" by The Script
I only know two songs by The Script ("Breakeven" and "Hall of Fame") and both are great. This one is pretty good too. The beat reminds me of "Shape Of You" by Ed Sheeran, but I like this song way more. The "oh-oh-oh"'s after the chorus are absolutely fantastic. This is a solid breakup song, too bad I don't have much else to say about it. 7.5/10
17. "Cash Out" by Calvin Harris ft. Schoolboy Q, PartyNextDoor, and D.R.A.M.
Calvin Harris really switched up his musical style this year, opting for a more groovy throwback sound. I loved both of his singles from this year ("Slide" and "Feels"), and this one's great too. It's funky and super-catchy. All of the featured guests do a great job and everybody sounds like they're having fun. Calvin Harris's production is really great as well. You could play this at a party and it would get everyone going. Plain and simply, this song is fun. 9/10
18. "Wonder Woman" by JoJo
Like a lot of the artists on this list, I'm somewhat familiar with JoJo. The two things I know about her are that she's been making music since she was, like, 12, and she's probably one of the best vocalists in modern music. Seriously, I've seen live videos of her, and she is AMAZING. She shows off those pipes here, but in a very sensual way. This song has a sexy R&B vibe, and despite me being picky about my R&B, I'm glad to say this one gets a pass from me. Even the rap verse JoJo does is pretty awesome. I'd totally add this to my playlist, except for the fact that IT'S NOT ON SPOTIFY AHHHH 8.5/10
19. "Secrets" by The Weeknd
I'm not sure exactly how I found this song but I've had it on repeat for the past few weeks. I actually really love pretty much every song by The Weeknd I've heard, which might surprise those who know me. This one reminds me a little bit of "Can't Feel My Face" since they have similar vibes, but I love this one even more. The hook is super-catchy and The Weeknd's vocal performance is particularly great. I'm not sure if this one's been released as a single, but if not, it really should be. This is one of the best songs I've heard from The Weeknd thus far and I hope it gets big. 10/10
20. "Disconnect" by Clean Bandit ft. Marina & the Diamonds
I know a few songs from both of the artists, and I really like pretty much everything I've heard from them. The beat is really pretty with the strings. The lyrics talk about the problems of technology and how everyone's so absorbed with it, and they're very relevant to today's society. Marina sounds great as usual. I should get more into her music because I love her voice. This is a really solid collaboration, combining the best qualities of both artists. I can see myself listening to it a lot in the future. 8.5/10
21. "Way Back" by TLC
I'm somewhat familiar with TLC (and by that, I mean I know they did the "don't go chasing waterfalls" song and they were huge in the '90s and pretty much nothing else.) This song definitely has a '90s-throwback vibe, which is appropriate considering the song is literally called "Way Back". I'm pretty sure it's about having a friend (or lover) who's had your back forever and how you're glad to have them. I love the beat with the horns and flute. I recommend this song if you like songs that are from the '90s, or just sound like they are. 7.5/10
22. "XO TOUR Llif3" by Lil Uzi Vert
I'm just assuming that people don't know the title of this song because it is literally unpronounceable, not because they don't know the song. I'm guessing most people just think it's called "I Don't Really Care If You Cry" or "All My Friends Are Dead" or something. I feel like I should like this song more, but Lil Uzi Vert's voice is low-key really annoying. I like the beat though, and the chorus is really catchy (which is funny considering how dark the lyrics are). If you're into trap music, you will probably like (actually screw "probably", you certainly already know) this song. If not, then you'll probably get nothing out of this, but that's okay. 6.5/10
23. "Passport Home" by JP Cooper
I had never heard of this song or artist before, but it's solid. It's a soulful ballad that reminds me of something Sam Smith would write. JP Cooper's voice is unique and I like the tone of it. The lyrics are also pretty good. I can't see myself listening to this song over and over again, but it's fine enough. 7/10
24. "Exposed" by Russ
This song is...angry. Right off the bat, Russ low-key sounds like he wants to murder me. I wasn't paying too much attention to the lyrics, but it sounds like he's trying to expose the industry for being fake or whatever. I don't get exactly what the context is, but "me, myself, and I, that's the holy f**kin' trinity" is something I'm totally going to say in regular conversation and steal as my own. (Just kidding about that last part.) My favorite thing about the song is the beat, which is gritty, intense, and, for lack of a better term, fire. I'm sure I'd enjoy this song a lot more if I knew what he was talking about, but I did get some enjoyment out of it, mainly from that amazing beat. 6.5/10
25. "My Love" by Wale ft. Major Lazer, Wizkid, and Dua Lipa
Do you ever just listen to a song and think, "This just feels like summer (or any other season)"? That's how this song is for me. It just feels like something you'd hear at a beach party on a tropical island. I could listen to this song in January and still think about warm weather. The song itself is pretty awesome and I'm going to add it to my playlist and listen to it whenever I need some summery vibes. Also, it's just a reminder that I really need to get more into Dua Lipa. I only know a few of her songs but I can tell that she's gonna be huge someday, probably in the near future. 9/10
26. "Broken Glass" by Rachel Platten
You might know Rachel Platten from her hits "Fight Song" and "Stand By You", which I, respectively, don't really like, and like quite a bit. I didn't know she had a new song, but I like this one better than both of her other songs. It's more upbeat and the lyrics are interesting. Rachel's voice is also really good here, especially the falsetto in the chorus. I didn't expect that from her. Overall this song is surprisingly strong, but I'm a little disappointed it's not the song of the same name from Victorious. God, I miss that show. 7.5/10
27. "Questions" by Chris Brown
First things first, I HATE Chris Brown's personality. He has done so many disgusting things I'd prefer not to get into, but you can look them up on your own time. I don't like most of his music either, although I really love his song "Forever". This one is unexpectedly decent. The chorus is catchy and the beat is fun and danceable with an island vibe. I also like the bridge. This song isn't bad at all, but Chris Brown is still a terrible person, so I can't say I like it too much because I don't want to support him. 7/10
28. "Reggaeton Lento (Remix)" by CNCO ft. Little Mix
I don't really know who CNCO are (I did some research and they're a Hispanic boy band, apparently), but I know Little Mix, and I think they're all really talented singers but their music isn't always my favorite. This is an interesting collaboration between the two acts and it reminds me a little bit of the "Despacito" remix in concept, although I don't like it as much. The girls from Little Mix sound really good and the harmonies are great. The chorus is also pretty catchy. I would recommend this if you're into Latin American music like "Despacito". 7/10
29. "Magnolia" by Playboi Carti
I've had to listen to quite a few hip-hop songs in preparation for this post, and based on what I said for all those songs, you know that I'm, surprisingly enough, a hip-hop fan. However, this is pretty much the exact kind of hip-hop that just doesn't appeal to me. I don't care about what the song's about, but the fact that I can't understand the lyrics without going on Genius and looking them up is a drawback. Playboi Carti's voice is boring and the beat isn't memorable. This song just sounds like any other trap-rap song out there. 5/10
30. "Strobelite" by Gorillaz
I've heard of Gorillaz, and I know that they're an animated band (cool!), but I know nothing else about them other than that. And my first impression is..."Wow, this is actually kind of awesome!" It's got a groovy throwback '80s vibe, which I'm always a fan of. If you're into those kinds of vibes, you'll probably like this song. The guy doing the lead vocals sounds like Aloe Blacc and his voice fits the song's atmosphere perfectly. This is a really good track. 8.5/10
31. "Bodak Yellow" by Cardi B
If you saw my post last week (link here), you would know that this is the official song of Banana_Elephants everywhere. This is actually the number one song in the country as I write this, which is surprising to me since I've only heard it a few times. It reminds me of something Nicki Minaj would make. It's okay, but my standards for this kind of song are way too high because of Nicki. The chorus is catchy though, and it gets in my head quite a bit. 6/10
32. "Rich Love" by OneRepublic ft. Seeb
This song is by OneRepublic, whom I only know a couple songs from but really enjoy. This one is different-sounding from the other songs I've heard from them since it has more of a tropical vibe to it. I like it quite a bit. The drop has an amazing groove and the lyrics are really good. This song has a pretty trendy sound and I can see it getting pretty big. 8/10
33. "Save As Draft" by Katy Perry
Oh, Katy Perry, what happened to you? Her first two albums were full of bops but after that, she's struggled. Her music just isn't as fun and catchy as it used to be, and she's really problematic. The only good thing she's done in the past three years is "Feels" with Calvin Harris. This current era of Katy Perry has been particularly weak. I have yet to hear a song from Witness I've liked, and this is probably her most uninteresting song to date. The beat is boring, it's not catchy, and the lyrics make no sense. I still love Katy's old music, but this is just weak and I know she can do better. 3.5/10
34. "Redbone" by Childish Gambino
We end with a meme. This song blew up this year because it, for whatever reason, the Internet decided to make it a meme (the Kermit the Frog cover is my favorite btw). However, unlike most songs that get popular because of memes (*cough* "CASH ME OUTSIDE" REMIX *cough*, "Redbone" isn't garbage! The song has a very sensual throwback R&B vibe with the instrumental and the vocals. The chorus with Childish Gambino screaming "stay woke" is pretty amazing. The outro is weird and kind of trippy but in a really good way. But in the end, I mostly like this song because of the memes. Best meme of the year, hands down. 9.5/10

OK, that was an...interesting ride. I put a lot of work into this post, since I had to listen to so many songs. Because of that, this is probably the post I'm most proud of to date (either this or the Top 10 Favorite Movies). I discovered some pretty great songs. There were some songs I wasn't really a fan of, but I'd say there were more that I liked than ones I didn't. I can see a lot of these songs becoming huge hits and getting played nonstop on the radio. Finally, if I were to single out one song that you need to listen to from this list, I'd say "Feel It Still". It took me about five days to listen to and rate all of these songs, and in between the new songs I hadn't heard, I listened to that song around 15 times. It's that addictive. I don't know what my next post will be. I'm pretty sure there's another "Songs You Don't Know The Name Of" video uploaded by that same user and I'd like to do another First Impressions post on that one, but I don't want to do First Impressions every week because that would get boring. I'll think of something in time for next Wednesday, and I'll see you then. I'm Stellar in Neverland signing off, peace!

Stellar

No comments:

Post a Comment