Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Album Review #2- Ariana Grande's Dangerous Woman

Hi, I'm Stellar, and welcome to Stellar in Neverland! Let's do updates first, as per the usual:
-If you've read my posts for the past two or three weeks, you know that I've been planning to do a First Impressions-style album review of Taylor Swift's Reputation. However, I learned last Wednesday that Taylor is planning to hold the album from streaming services such as Spotify for at least the first week of its release. I depend on Spotify for my music intake because it's free and easy to use, and if the album isn't on Spotify, then I am unable to listen to it and make the post. Honestly I don't know why I DIDN'T expect her to do this. Holding her album from streaming for just the first week is just a ploy to get higher first-week sales numbers, and it's not unlike Taylor at all. The fact that's she's doing this only because she cares about sales is one of the big reasons why I will never believe people who claim that "Taylor Swift isn't greedy or money-hungry!" But I'll save the rest of my angry rants for the Reputation review, which will come...whenever Taylor decides to put it on Spotify. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

So what am I doing in the meantime?
                                                                       
Image result for ariana grande dangerous woman
Reviewing another album!

I'm doing this for three reasons:
1. Last week I reviewed Katy Perry's Witness, which (spoiler alert) I did not enjoy. Next week I'm (hopefully) reviewing Taylor Swift's Reputation, which (based off of the two songs I've heard from it) will also likely be negative. I remember when I wrote on the Brick Wall and after the whole "#selfie" ordeal (I described it here), Quidditch_Turtle told me to try to stay positive as much as possible. Although absolutely destroying things by criticizing them is fun, I like positive posts even more. I like to think I'm a positive person, and talking about things I love is one of my favorite things. So that's what I'm going to do. This isn't a First Impression (check the title) because I've already heard the album in question and (spoiler alert) I already know I love it.
2. Between the previously released singles "Look What You Made Me Do" and "Ready For It?", the music videos for both of those songs, and the album artwork, it's clear Taylor is trying to go for an edgier image with this era. This got me thinking about how pretty much every other female pop star has done the same thing: starting out their career with a good-girl image, only to get edgier and sexier over time. While the success of Taylor's good-girl-gone-bad transition has been hit-or-miss according to the general public, I feel like Ariana's was a lot better received. The album had some of her most commercially successful songs and got a lot of positive reviews from critics. It also allowed her to show her artistry by experimenting with many genres while never fully leaving the bubblegum-pop of her first two albums.
3. I've talked about my love of Ariana Grande quite a few times on here, but never really in-depth like this. I just want to talk about one of the biggest reasons why I love her, which is her music. And yes, I'm aware that this is pretty similar to #1, but I don't care.

OK, I'll stop rambling. Dangerous Woman. Ariana Grande. Let's review it! (Also one brief note: I'm going to be looking at the North American deluxe edition of the album because it has some extra songs I really want to talk about.)

1. "Moonlight"
The first song on the album is the ballad "Moonlight". This was supposed to be the title track of the album before Ariana decided "Dangerous Woman" was a more fitting album title. Considering the rest of the album, I agree with this decision, but that doesn't mean I don't love the song "Moonlight". This is one of the most beautiful-sounding songs she's done and the retro style is reminiscent of some of her previous works. I love the strings and the romantic lyrics. "I never knew you could hold moonlight in your hands 'till the night I held you" is a cute line. Ariana's vocals are very pretty and show off a different side of her. She's known for her insane, powerful belting abilities but her calm vocals are just as great. This isn't one of my absolute favorites on the album but I love it a lot. 9/10
2. "Dangerous Woman"
The title track and the lead single for the album was completely unexpected. This song is sexy and it sounds like nothing else we had heard from Ariana at that point. The beat is amazing and sensual and pulls off the vibe she was going for perfectly. It has a bit of a rock influence and even a pretty awesome guitar solo in there. The lyrics are also really seductive. The highlight of the song is, as it usually is, Ariana's vocal performance. She sounds seductive in the verses and absolutely soars in the final chorus. The high notes are some of her best. This was a great choice for the lead single and really made me intrigued to see what else she had to offer. 8.5/10
3. "Be Alright"
I first heard a snippet of this song on Ariana's Snapchat story during the summer of 2015 and I was instantly intrigued. I couldn't wait to hear the song in its entirety, and it didn't disappoint. This song has an irresistible deep house-influenced beat that makes it stand out. It's one of her most fun songs to dance to. The lyrics are simple but have a good message that no matter what life throws at us, things will always be alright. Ariana performed this at the One Love Manchester benefit concert after the tragic bombing at one of her concerts and it fit perfectly there. Her vocals are very chill and calming but still pretty. This is a great dance track and one you can listen to repeatedly. 8.5/10
4. "Into You"
A few weeks ago I made a list of my favorite songs from the Just Dance series, and I chose "Into You" for the list. The reasons why don't really have much to do with the gameplay, it was on there entirely because I love the song so much. It is one of the most perfect pop songs I've ever heard. The production is top-notch, the lyrics are sexy and flirty, the melodies are gorgeous, and Ariana's vocals are especially breathtaking. The last minute or so of the song is especially jaw-dropping. There are so many layers in the production and backing vocals, and Ariana's high notes give me chills. I want to be in love with someone who feels like this song does. This is Ariana's best single bar none...and yet it only peaked at #13 on the Billboard charts, making it a flop compared to some of her other singles. I don't understand the general public. 10/10
5. "Side To Side" ft. Nicki Minaj
Peaking at #4 on the Billboard Hot 100, this was the biggest hit from the album, and while I do like it, I'd be crazy to call it one of the best here. It has Ariana experimenting with reggae, and while I don't necessarily want her to make an entire album in this style, she still pulls it off well. The lyrics don't seem like much until you take a deeper look at them and realize that Holy crap, this song is really dirty. Featured guest Nicki Minaj adds to the sexual nature of the song. Her verse has the line "I give zero f**ks and I got zero chill in me" which isn't dirty as much at it is my life motto. I want that line tattooed on my body because it describes me so well, haha. This is a good song and I get why it was a single (trendy sound, catchy hook, Nicki verse), but there are a lot of better songs on the album. 8/10
6. "Let Me Love You" ft Lil Wayne
If I had to pick my least favorite song on the album, it would be this one. I don't HATE it, but she's definitely done better. It sees her going for a dark, edgy hip-hop vibe and while I normally like her going dark, this just falls flat. The lyrics are weak and the chorus is lazy. It's just her stuttering "just let me lo-o-o-o-ove you" and it does nothing for her voice. The beat is also pretty boring. Lil Wayne adds nothing to the song, if anything he makes it worse. The only good things about it are the melody in the prechorus (which is really pretty, not gonna lie) and the music video. She doesn't even do anything in it but she looks SO GOOD:
Image result for let me love you ariana grande
Idk I just like her curly hair
If this song were by anyone else I'd probably hate it, but since it's Ariana I can't get too mad at it. I'm still not a fan though. 6/10
7. "Greedy" 
One of the big fan favorites, many fans believe this one should've been a single. I share both of those opinions, seeing as this is probably my favorite song on the album and easily one of my top 5 favorite Ariana songs. "Greedy" sees Ariana going for a throwback-funk-style song, much like a lot of Bruno Mars's material. She nails it. Her fun, playful personality does wonders for the upbeat track and this song really shows off her fantastic vocal range. The opening is very in-your-face and I love it for that. This song has one of the strongest and catchiest choruses on the album and the beat is fun and danceable. The song is amazing as it is, but guess what she does next? She goes and adds one of my favorite things in music, a key change, just to push the song over the top. Everything about this song is absolute perfection and I have no idea why it wasn't a single. This would have been a SMASH hit. 10/10
8. "Leave Me Lonely" ft. Macy Gray
After the upbeat thrill ride that is "Greedy", Ari slows things down with this ballad. This song is a collaboration with singer Macy Gray. I don't actually know much about her but I love the contrast between the two singers' vocals. Ariana's voice is a clear, smooth soprano while Macy's is smoky, low, and dark. This song is about a lover who treats her badly and even if Ariana loves him, she'd give him up instead of risking the pain. It's a very soulful and emotional song and you can feel that Ariana has a connection to it because of the way she sings it. I admittedly don't come back to this one too often but it's a pretty solid track. 8/10
9. "Everyday" ft. Future
The fourth and final single from the album. It was initially one of my favorite tracks but other songs stood out more in the long run. I still like it though. It shows Ariana going for a dirty, sexy trap vibe and while she is able to pull it off, it's not my favorite style on her. The biggest criticism most people have with Ariana's voice is that she's not good at enunciating, and even though I love her, I'm able to overlook my bias and say that no, I don't know what she's saying in a lot of her songs either. While sometimes her lack of enunciation can be charming, it drags this song down a little bit. When I first heard the prechorus I thought she was saying "nut quick" instead of "not quit", and I know I'm not the only one. The lyrics in this one are pretty generic and Future's appearance just feels tacked on, like he's only there to make the song more popular. Still, the beat is pretty awesome and Ariana's falsettos in the final chorus are pretty. 7.5/10
10. "Sometimes"
This track isn't my favorite, but it's still fine. It definitely feels like album filler though. The chorus is fantastic, honestly one of the best on the album. The lyrics are a little generic but they're pretty cute. The acoustic guitars make this one stand out on the album and give it a relaxed feel. Ariana's vocals also are pretty chill aside from the end, where she shows off a little. The main issue I have is with the random "la la la la la la"'s performed by an unnamed male vocalist interspersed throughout the song. They're catchy, but I don't know why they didn't just have Ariana do them herself. This is a good song, but compared to many of the other songs on the album, it's a little weak. 7/10
11. "I Don't Care"
This one has a bit of a sultry throwback R&B feel. The addition of the brass was a nice touch. Ariana's vocals are also really pretty, especially in the outro. My favorite thing about this song is the message of the lyrics. As a celebrity, Ariana's had to deal with a lot of hate (most of it from #DonutGate2K15) and this song is basically a (surprisingly mature) middle finger to the haters. My favorite line is "I used to let some people tell me how to live and what to be, but if I can't be me the f**k's the point?" which is another one of my life mottos. The main thing holding this track back is its length. It's not even three minutes long but I'm left wanting more. Once again, despite this song's many good qualities, I can't say it's one of my favorites. 7/10
12. "Bad Decisions"
If any song epitomizes Ariana's transition from cute child star to mature artist, it's this one. This one's a complete bop and I'm ashamed I don't listen to it that much. This feels like a sequel to "Dangerous Woman", but honestly I like it a lot more. The chorus is way catchier and more upbeat. The vocals are confident, sexy, and fun; it's Ariana doing what she does best. The lyrics are similar in theme to "Dangerous Woman", being about a guy who makes Ariana feel fierce and powerful when she's with him. This song contains what is quite possibly my favorite lyric on the entire album ("Ain't you ever seen a princess be a bad b***h?). I've always liked this song, but I'm just now realizing just how good it really is. Why wasn't this a single, Ari? 9.5/10
13. "Touch It"
This is another one of my absolute favorite songs by Ariana. If I were to make a list of my top 10 favorites, this would make it. Everything about this song is great. The production is an R&B-EDM hybrid that sounds amazing. I love the pianos in the intro and the synths in the chorus. The lyrics are about a relationship where the couple has issues but they still really love each other. It weirdly feels like a sequel to "Into You" to me. The melodies are amazing as well. My favorite is the one in the second verse and bridge when she sings "Remind me why we're taking a break, it's obviously insane, cause we both know what we want, so why don't we fall in lo-o-ove?" But of course, the big reason why I adore this song so much is Ariana herself. This song has the single best vocal performance of her career thus far. The way she sings "'Cause every time I'm WITH YAAAAAAAA" and hits that gorgeous high note in the final chorus gives me goosebumps, as do the falsettos in the outro. She has never sounded so beautiful. Anyone who doesn't think Ariana Grande isn't one of the best vocalists of this generation needs to stop lying to themselves. 10/10
14. "Knew Better/Forever Boy"
The first two-in-one song Ariana's done, and thankfully both parts are great. The first part, "Knew Better", is a big fan favorite, despite being so short. The lyrics show him completely dissing a guy who she doesn't like anymore, and it's her delivery that makes it sound so utterly savage. The instrumental has some great synths and it has a modern R&B vibe that makes it stand out. "Forever Boy" is a bit longer and of the two, it's the one I prefer, despite that being an unpopular opinion. It has more of a poppier-EDM sound and I just like that style more than the one on "Knew Better". The chorus has a really pretty melody and she sings it so sweetly. The lyrics are also pretty sweet, talking about how even though she's never kept a guy for more than six months, she knows the guy she's singing about is the one. Although I prefer "Forever Boy", both of these songs are great and the contrast between the two is interesting. 8.5/10 ("Knew Better" is an 8/10 and "Forever Boy" is a 9/10, so I just averaged them out.)
15. "Thinking Bout You"
Dangerous Woman ends on a melancholic but triumphant high note. This song is about her missing a guy. The lyrics in the verses focus more on the sexual aspect of her missing him, but the rest of the song's lyrics are genuinely emotional. "I don't have you here with me but at least I have the memory" is such a simple but poignant line. Ariana's vocals are some of her most passionate and emotional, and her voice sounds utterly stunning. The production is celestial, alluring, and suits the melancholy mood perfectly. This song does exactly what it tries to and it's one of her most heartbreaking tunes. I expected her to play this one at the One Love Manchester benefit since I thought the sentiment would fit, but I guess the sexual lyrics were deemed inappropriate. Whatever. 9/10

So that's the album. It's one of my favorite albums probably of all time, but then again, I really don't listen to that many albums. It's a cohesive work of art and you can tell Ariana poured her heart and soul into it, trying to make every aspect the best it could be. I added up my scores for each individual song and got an 8.5/10, which is pretty accurate to how I feel.

Best Songs: My top five favorite songs on the album are "Greedy", "Into You", "Touch It", "Bad Decisions", and "Moonlight" in that order. 
Worst Songs: The only one I don't like is "Let Me Love You", so yeah, that one. 

To conclude this, yeah, I recommend this album if you like good pop music. I don't know how else to wrap this up. Next week will hopefully be the Reputation review. If not, I don't know what I'll do. I'm Stellar in Neverland signing off. See you next Wednesday. Peace!

Stellar

No comments:

Post a Comment