Saturday, July 4, 2020

Songs I Love by Non-American Artists

So...it's the Fourth of July. Today is the day when I should be decked in red, white, and blue, screaming "Party in the USA" at the top of my lungs, and celebrating America and everything it stands for. But truth be told, I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in my country. Of course, the biggest factor in this disappointment is due to the police brutality and racism flooding through America, but there's also the stupidity of many Americans regarding the pandemic we're in. Idiots have made wearing a mask into a political debate and refused to wear them, meaning that the number of COVID cases has skyrocketed. The number of new COVID cases is going down in just about every other country, but not in the US because people are stupid and careless. Frankly, with everything that's going on, I'm infuriated with my country and I'm really not in the mood to celebrate its "greatness." Instead, I've compiled a playlist of songs by artists I love who aren't from America. No limitations regarding genre or anything, although I kept it at one song per artist for diversity's sake. I do kind of feel bad that most of these artists are from the same few countries, but the point is that they're not from the US. 

THE AMERICAS/OCEANIA
Exactly what it sounds like: these artists are from North, Central, or South America. Just not the USA. However, I did have a few songs by artists from Australia and New Zealand that I wanted to highlight, but they didn't really fit into the other two sections. So here they are!
1. "Estoy Aquí" by Shakira
Colombian singer Shakira is one of the most famous singers in the world. She and Jennifer Lopez performed the halftime show at the Super Bowl this year, and according to the Los Angeles Times' Agustin Gurza, she was "the first artist of the rock en español generation to become a star in the U.S." I specifically chose "Estoy Aquí" (meaning "I'm Here" in English) because I had to listen to it a lot in my sophomore year Spanish class. We translated the lyrics and were amused to learn that despite the fact that it sounds very upbeat and happy, the lyrics are actually quite sad. In this song, Shakira's not over her ex and it's driving her crazy. I love songs where the musical tone contrasts with the lyrics. I also really like the "fotos y cuadernos" part where she sings really fast. 
2. "Despacito" by Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee (and not Justin Bieber)
I'm kind of disappointed that I only have two Latin songs here, considering how much Latin music has taken over. I should probably listen to more Latin music. Oh well. At this rate, "Despacito" is one of the most famous songs of all time, with the music video coming close to 7 billion views. Both Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee are from Puerto Rico, and "Despacito" musically reflects that heritage, featuring the Puerto Rican national instrument, the cuatro, in its intro. The song broke barriers, becoming inescapable the world over and allowing for other Spanish-language songs to become world-famous. I mostly like it because of how catchy and summery it is, and also because the "This Is So Sad Alexa Play Despacito" meme will forever make me laugh. Also, I guess I could put the Justin Bieber remix here, since he is Canadian, but I don't like his parts of it. 
3. "In Your Eyes" by The Weeknd
I've been a casual fan of the Canadian R&B singer The Weeknd, but even with that, the songs from his latest album After Hours have blown me away. "Blinding Lights" is probably my favorite song of the year so far, and "In Your Eyes" is on par with it. It has more of the 80s disco elements that made "Blinding Lights" so irresistible for me, but it differs itself from "Blinding Lights" by having a saxophone solo in the outro. More songs need sax solos. Guitar solos are cool, but sax solos are more unique, so I prefer them. I would love this song on its own, but the sax solo puts it over the top.
4. "Want You in My Room" by Carly Rae Jepsen
Canadian pop star Carly Rae Jepsen is best known for the world-conquering "Call Me Maybe." While she hasn't had anything as popular as that song since, she's only gotten stronger as an artist. Carly doesn't try to do anything crazy or experimental, she's just committed to making pop music, and making it right. "Want You in My Room" is pretty sexual lyrically, but sonically, it's a euphoric, 80s-influenced piece of bubblegum pop. Carly sounds adorable, especially when she says "baby, don't you want me too?" and her enthusiasm is contagious. The song was co-written and produced by Jack Antonoff, formerly of the band fun. The song features some fun little vocoder interjections from him, as well as a great sax solo at the end. 
5. "Find Your Love" by Drake
Drake is probably the single most successful artist of the past decade, for better or for worse. Drake's biggest problem is that he favors quantity over quality. He frequently releases overlong albums/mixtapes/playlists/whatever he calls them, and they're very mediocre. He knows that whatever he releases will rocket to the top of the charts, so he cares more about charting records than actually making good music. However, when he actually feels like trying, he can make a really great song. My two favorite Drake songs are "Hold On, We're Going Home" and "Nice For What," but I've already talked about those a lot, so I chose "Find Your Love" instead. My favorite Drake songs are usually the ones when he sings and focuses less on trying to be a tough, macho badass, because I think those songs tend to fit him more. (He is, after all, a Jewish kid from the suburbs of Toronto who first got famous on Degrassi. Not the first thing I think of when I hear the word "intimidating." "Find Your Love" is sort of the precursor to "Hold On, We're Going Home," and although I prefer the latter due to its more polished production, I still enjoy "Find Your Love." Drake sounds really smooth and it's just a nice song to listen to. 
6. "In My Blood" by Shawn Mendes
I feel like at first, Shawn Mendes was supposed to be, like, the new Justin Bieber. They're both Canadian and they both got discovered on social media at a young age. However, Shawn has definitely broken out from that mold. "In My Blood," the lead single for his 2018 self-titled album, is a pop-rock song that is reminiscent of the band Kings of Leon. This song means a lot to me since it's specifically about Shawn's struggles with anxiety. In 2018, right around the time this song came out, I was having really bad anxiety, so I related to it. I really connected to the lyrics and to the desperation in Shawn's voice, especially when he sings "I need somebody now." I don't love every Shawn Mendes song, but this one will always have a place in my heart. 
7. "Desperado" by Rihanna
Honestly, what is there to say about Rihanna that hasn't already been said? Originally hailing from Barbados, this multi-hyphenate has 14 number one singles, nine Grammys, and an estimated net worth of $600 million to her name. Since she's been busy with non-musical endeavors (most notably her hugely successful Fenty Beauty cosmetics line), she hasn't released new music since 2016. However, her 2016 album Anti featured some of her best work to date. "Desperado" has a brooding, almost old Western vibe to it that is unlike anything Rihanna's ever done. It's smoky, dark, and all-around satisfying for me. 
8. "No Shame" by 5 Seconds of Summer
Now we get to the Australian side of things with 5 Seconds of Summer. I've really loved what 5 Seconds of Summer have been doing lately. I used to hate them since I thought they tried too hard to be "punk," but lately it seems like they've embraced their pop sides. I know selling out is usually looked down upon, but I actually think the poppier songs work really well for the band. "No Shame" isn't total bubblegum, but it's really catchy. My favorite part is the prechorus, the "go on and light me like a cigarette" section. 
9. "Ribs" by Lorde
Lorde's 2013 breakout single, "Royals" was a shock to the system of pop music, as suddenly this teenager from New Zealand was the biggest, most influential name in music. After this song, we saw a lot more minimal, moodier songs topping the charts. The thing about Lorde is that when "Royals" first came out, my mom hated it and would always complain about how much she hated it. As a result, I sort of felt like I had to hate it too, and I had always harbored a weird bias against Lorde that I never really got over. It was stupid and petty and wrong. But then I heard "Ribs" in a random TikTok, liked what I had heard, decided to check out the whole song, and I can now say that I'm completely, 100% over my stupid bias. This is probably the most relatable song I've ever heard, and also one of the best. Considering that it's about Lorde's fear of getting older, it's definitely a song I need in my life at this point in time. I've just graduated high school and am getting ready to go to college, so Lorde's lyrics, specifically "I've never felt more alone, it feels so scary, getting old" really resonate with me. "Ribs" is poignant, nostalgic, and extremely relatable. I can tell it will resonate with me for a long time. 
10. "Riptide" by Vance Joy
This song, by Australian singer-songwriter Vance Joy, is one of those songs that will never get old for me. I don't listen to it every day, but whenever I hear it, it's a treat. I've always wanted to learn to play the ukulele (it's like a guitar, but smaller and cuter!) and this song is almost entirely the reason why. It's just so laid-back and has always screamed "lazy summer day" to me. I also really love the lyrics. They're kind of a random mishmash of words, but it works for me, especially the opening lyrics of "I was scared of dentists and the dark/I was scared of pretty girls and starting conversations." It's such an interesting way to start the song. 

EUROPE:
Most of these songs are from British artists, which I knew would be the case. We cannot possibly overstate the invaluable contributions to music given to us by the Brits. Some of the most iconic bands of all time, such as Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, and the goddamn Beatles all hailed from the UK. However, my selections are all going to be pretty modern. There's nothing wrong with those classic rock bands, I'm just not as familiar with them as I should be. 
11. "Touch" by Little Mix
Little Mix haven't really broken through into the US, but they're still the biggest girl group in the world (excluding kpop). They formed on the UK's version of The X Factor and were the first group to win. Although their songs can be hit or miss, I do really like these girls. All four of them are amazing singers and they harmonize so well. "Touch" is one of my favorite songs by them because it's just a really solid pop track. It has a great chorus and the girls' vocals and harmonies are spot-on. It doesn't try to be anything more than an excellent pop song, and sometimes, that's all I need. 
12. "Love Again" by Dua Lipa
British pop star Dua Lipa has had a great year so far. Her song "Don't Start Now" was released at the tail end of 2019 and became her biggest hit in early 2020. She also released her second album Future Nostalgia this March, which was a commercial and critical success. Just like the title implies, the songs from the album are a great blend of older disco elements with more modern pop. The album's three singles, "Don't Start Now," "Physical," and "Break My Heart" were all great, but I'd love to see the album track "Love Again" become a single at some point. The song is built around a trumpet motif from the song "Your Woman" by White Town, which is a really catchy hook. I also adore the disco-style strings and the theme of how a new significant other can make you believe in love again. 
13. "Ride It" by Regard
"Ride It" was originally a song by the British singer Jay Sean, best known for the 2009 song "Down." It was originally released in 2008, but then the Kosovan DJ Regard remixed it in 2019. The remix then blew up on TikTok. The original song is very of-its-time 2000s R&B, but the remix turns it into a house song. I definitely prefer the remix, as it's faster and more upbeat. It's another one of those songs that I can just imagine listening to as I drive through a big city at night. I also think it's interesting how instead of pitching the vocals up, they're lowered. I almost always hate chipmunk vocals, but funnily enough, I don't mind deepened vocals at all. I actually think TikTok has been really beneficial for popular music, as it's made songs like "Old Town Road" by Lil Nas X, "The Box" by Roddy Ricch, and "Savage" by Megan Thee Stallion become number one hits, and it's helped me discover songs like "Ride It" and the aforementioned "Ribs." 
14. "Desire" by Years & Years ft. Tove Lo
This one's another remix. The original song is just by the English synthpop band Years & Years, but the remix features the Swedish singer Tove Lo. Years & Years are known for mixing R&B with 90s house music, and this song is a great example of that. It sounds like something you'd hear in a dark, underground club in some indie movie. I really like the remix featuring Tove Lo. I think she has a really underrated, unique voice, and she elevates the track to the next level. Her interplay with the band's singer Olly Alexander is fantastic. 
15. "Watermelon Sugar" by Harry Styles
I don't really avidly listen to any male solo artists, but if I were to pick a favorite, it would probably be Harry Styles. I've only heard a handful of songs from him, but every single one of them has been fantastic. "Watermelon Sugar" is his current single, and it's probably my personal song of the summer, even though it came out last November. His music is more influenced by classic rock than many of his peers, which is great, since his naturally raspy voice is perfect for rock. This song also has some great horns that add to its vibrance. The only thing I have to say is, geez, what is it with Harry Styles and fruit? "Watermelon Sugar" mentions both watermelons (obviously) and strawberries, "Adore You" mentions strawberries and lemons, his self-titled album had a song called "Kiwi," and his most recent album, Fine Line, had a song called "Cherry." Does this man have some kind of fruit fetish?
16. "Robbers" by The 1975
The British band The 1975 is one of my favorite bands, even if I've only heard their first two albums. Their 80s-esque, groovy synth-pop-rock style just works for me. "Robbers" from their self-titled debut album has always been my favorite song of theirs, and it always will be an all-time favorite. The song tells a Bonnie and Clyde-esque story, criminals who are also lovers. The thing that makes this song stand out is the emotion in singer Matty Healy's voice. My favorite part is when he sings "Now everybody's dead, and they're driving past my old school." He more-or-less screams it and the imperfections in his voice make the song feel raw and personal. The lyrics also add to the beautifully tragic nature of the song. I love many other songs by this band, especially "Somebody Else," "Chocolate," and "The Sound," but "Robbers" has always been my favorite. 
17. "Magic" by Coldplay
Coldplay are probably the closest thing I have to a "favorite band." While I won't claim to be an obsessive fan, I will say that I like pretty much everything I've heard from them. I'd easily consider songs like "Viva la Vida," "Clocks," and especially "Fix You" to be some of my favorite songs of all time. "Magic" came out in 2014, but I'm just now starting to get into it. The thing I really like about Coldplay is how ethereal their music sounds, and that's certainly the case for "Magic." I'm not the biggest fan of the verses, mainly because I think the way Chris Martin sings "you" in this song is weird and I can't explain why. I mostly like this song for the way it sounds. It's more spare and minimalist than a lot of Coldplay's most famous songs, but it's still pretty, and the way the song flourishes at the bridge is stunning. 
18. "Castle On The Hill" by Ed Sheeran
Ed Sheeran is one of the biggest musicians in the world, especially at home in the UK. He's had some of the biggest hits of the decade, like "Shape of You," "Thinking Out Loud," and "Perfect." "Castle on the Hill" is probably my favorite song by him to date. This song is about Ed reminiscing about his youth and it has some fantastic storytelling lyrics. I listen to it and I'm transported to the places Ed talks about, singing off-key with my friends as we race down the country roads. The song reminds me of U2 sonically, especially "Where The Streets Have No Name," a song that I've grown up listening to. This more pop rock style is a great fit for Ed's soaring vocals, and I'd love if he made more songs like it in the future. 
19. "Do I Wanna Know" by Arctic Monkeys
The Arctic Monkeys were one of the first bands to come to prominence via the Internet, and they're one of the most successful British bands of the 21st century. I always known of this song, but I never really listened to it until about a month ago. To me, it's one of those songs that wasn't a chart-topping hit, but still lingers in the public consciousness. I think the entire reason for that is because of the guitar riff, which is just awesome. The song has a very psychedelic style to it that isn't like anything I normally listen to, but I like it. It makes me feel more edgy and alternative than I actually am.
20. "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol
"Chasing Cars" is the most famous song by the Scottish-Northern Irish alternative band Snow Patrol. According to the music licensing body PPL in 2019, the song was the most played song on UK radios in the 21st century. Here in the US, it's mostly famous for appearing in the show Grey's Anatomy. I've never watched Grey's, but it's one of my mom's favorite shows, so I know a lot of the music from it, and "Chasing Cars" is my favorite. It's magical. The production of this song is so serene and transcendent, and the lyrics are very sweet. This is the couple in the story I've been writing's "song." It just makes me want to fall in love. 

ASIA:
All of my songs from Asian artists are going to be kpop, and there's nothing you can do about it! What can I say, I'm on a major kpop kick. However, for the sake of variety, I'm not allowing myself to choose any song I have already talked about. That means I won't talk about any songs from Kpop Crash Course or my Twice album reviews, all of which can be found under the "kpop" tag! 
21. "Knock Knock" by Twice
Twice are my favorite kpop group, and it's not a contest. These nine girls are adorable and their songs are like a sugar rush. I've said before that I definitely prefer their later, more mature singles over their cutesy early work, but I still like a lot of their cutesy songs. "Knock Knock" is one of my favorites in this category. The funny thing is that I didn't necessarily love this song until really recently, when, oddly enough, I had it in my head the entire time I was watching the Avatar: The Last Airbender finale. I'm not sure why I had a cutesy bubblegum kpop song in my head as I watched something so intense, but I've grown to appreciate it because of that. "Knock Knock" is really cute and catchy, and the way Sana says the title of the song is adorable. 
22. "Playing With Fire" by Blackpink
This is my favorite Blackpink song, and it has been since I first heard it. It just has a different feeling from their other songs. It has the confidence and attitude of Blackpink's other songs, like "Ddu-du Ddu-du" and "Kill This Love," but it's not as hip-hop inspired as those two. It's more electropop-leaning, but it's not straight bubblegum either. The production is great (gotta love the piano in the intro!) and I feel like this sound works really well for the girls. Rosé sounds particularly good here, as this song makes an excellent use of her unique vocal tone. I also really love Lisa's rap verse. Her raps always seem to be my favorite part of every Blackpink song. 
23. "Not Today" by BTS
"Blood Sweat & Tears" is still my favorite BTS song, but "Not Today" is a very, very close second. Many of BTS's songs have a larger-than-life, explosive feeling to them, and that's absolutely the case for "Not Today." I can't even describe it, this song just feels massive. The lyrics are about persevering through whatever life throws at you. Combined with the larger-than-life production, I see this song as a call to arms for all the underdogs to rise up against hardships. When I hear this song, I envision them riding in on military tanks, ready to destroy everything in their path. I was a little disappointed that the music video didn't feature any tanks, but it was still a really good video. Even if you don't like their music, you have to admit that BTS videos always have exquisite cinematography and production values. 
24. "Shoot Me" by Day6
I first listened to Day6 for my Kpop Crash Course series. I loved their song "I Wait," and since they seemed like the Korean version of Fall Out Boy to me (that is not a dig at them, I love Fall Out Boy), I decided to check out some of their other work. I also really like "Days Gone By" for its The 1975-esque guitars, but "Shoot Me" is the one I've come back to the most. "Shoot Me" has a bombastic pop punk energy that I love, and the hooks are the best I've heard from the band. The "bang bang" in the chorus is so memorable and gets stuck in my head all the time. Day6 are great and I can't wait to listen to more of their work. 
25. "Automatic" by Red Velvet
Red Velvet continue to impress me with every song I hear from them, and this might be my favorite I've heard. It's a tough call, I really like all of the songs I've listened to from them. Red Velvet is known for their dual concept, with the "Red" half of their name representing more upbeat pop and the "Velvet" half representing more sophisticated R&B-influenced songs. This song is clearly part of the "Velvet" concept, being very sophisticated and sensual. Their vocals are very tightly harmonized, and the production is very minimal, yet does a good job at setting a seductive tone. 
26. "View" by SHINee
My favorite boy group I discovered from Kpop Crash Course was definitely SHINee. I only heard three songs from them, but I liked all of them, so I decided to listen to more of their songs. "View" was released in 2015, making it one of their more recent songs. The song was produced by LDN Noise, who also produced "4 Walls" by f(x), as well as the group's late vocalist Jonghyun. The production of this song is definitely similar to that of "4 Walls." They both have an upbeat deep house vibe and are great summer jams. 
27. "Move" by Taemin
It's pretty common for kpop group members to release music on their own. This doesn't mean they've permanently left the group. Sometimes, they just like to explore new sounds on their own. One example of this is with SHINee's Taemin, who started releasing solo music in 2016. I actually first heard his song "Move" when I saw Momo, Mina, Dahyun, and Chaeyoung from Twice cover it. Despite the fact that Twice are known for the whole cutesy thing, I think they pull off this dark, sensual concept really well, and I'd love to hear more songs like this from Twice, even if it's just a b-side. "Move" is a really slinky dance jam that I love no matter who's performing it. Taemin has also said that with this single, he wanted to break gender norms and find a middle ground between masculine and feminine choreography for the song. I think that's awesome. 
28. "Power" by EXO
When I counted down my favorite songs from Kpop Crash Course, EXO took the top spot with their song "Call Me Baby." While I don't think I'll ever hear a song from them I like more than that, I still really enjoy much of what I've heard from them. "Power" is one of my favorites. The song is an EDM banger, with some of the synthesizers reminding me of video games. All the other EXO songs I've heard have been very smooth and mature, but "Power" shows off a playful, bombastic side to them. I also like the lyrical theme of how the power of music brings us all together. This song has a contagious energy and it's a fun track for EXO. 
29. "Black Pearl" by Sunmi
I like watching a bunch of random kpop-related videos on YouTube, mainly as a way to find new kpop songs. One of them was "Kpop B-Sides That Are Better Than the Title Track" (I can't find the specific video, though). Sunmi's "Siren" was the title track in question, and it's fine. The chorus is nice, but I didn't like the rap breakdown at all, and I'm not huge on some of the synths either. "Black Pearl" is much better. It really reminds me of the Calvin Harris remix of SZA's "The Weekend," a song I've been in love with for the past few months. It has a great groove and some fun instrumental sections, specifically a saxophone! I also like the jazzy guitar part towards the end of the track. Sunmi was formerly a member of the kpop group The Wonder Girls, and funnily enough, I think I like "Black Pearl" more than any song I've heard from her old group. 
30. "Décalcomanie" by Mamamoo
As is the case for many of these groups, I discovered Mamamoo when I listened to them for my Kpop Crash Course. I liked "You're The Best," but nearly every other song I've heard from them has been even better. I also love their song "HIP" for its attitude and confidence, but in the end, I chose "Décalcomanie" because I think it's the best portrait of who these girls are. It has the retro elements that define Mamamoo's sound and the girls' vocals are really powerful and strong. I love the contrast between the seductive, sultry verses and the more explosive chorus. I think my favorite part of the song is the jazzy breakdown, featuring a rap by the group's Moonbyul. I haven't heard that many songs from them, but Mamamoo are quickly becoming one of my favorite girl groups, and they're a great note to end this playlist on. 

Next week, I'm planning to count down my favorite High School Musical songs because I saw High School Musical 2 the other day and thought it would be a fun thing to write about. See you next week. 

Stellar

No comments:

Post a Comment