Saturday, February 29, 2020

Current Favorite Songs for February 2020

I was gonna do my Kpop Crash Course thing today, but I decided instead that I wanted to talk about music that I already knew...and just so happened to really like. We're only two months in, but I actually think this year has been pretty great for music so far. I've tried to do a better job of keeping up with music by watching YouTube compilations dealing with the "top songs of the week" or whatnot and then adding the stuff that sounded good to my Spotify. And I have actually found a lot of stuff that I really like, including these songs! I used to do a bunch of these "current favorite songs"-type posts in, like, 2018. I just want to say that I'm not claiming these are "songs you need to listen to" or anything, because everybody has different music tastes. This is more just a place for me to talk about songs I personally love at this moment in time. Two years or so from now, I can look back and reminisce at what my favorite songs were in February 2020. Maybe I'll still be bopping to them, maybe I'll think they're all terrible, who really knows? But at this point in time, these are my jams, in no particular order.

1. "Blinding Lights" by The Weeknd
Even as somebody who's liked pretty much every song by The Weeknd I've heard, "Blinding Lights" stands out. This is definitely the song of his that appeals most to my personal tastes. I'm always going to be a fan of this kind of synth-pop, almost 80s sound. This song kind of reminds me of "False Alarm" from The Weeknd's previous album, Starboy, due to how hard-hitting it is, but as much as I liked that song, I think this one is even better. Every time I hear it, I just want to dance, and dance really, really badly. 
2. "Adore You" by Harry Styles
I really find it interesting how, upon releasing solo material, all of the One Direction boys have gone in completely different directions (pun not intended) with their music, but Harry's solo music has been without a doubt my favorite. I've only heard a few songs from him, but every single one of them has been a 10/10, and "Adore You" is the best one yet. Most of Harry's other stuff I've heard has been more classic rock-inspired, but this song is almost disco-ish? This song is just super blissful and the chorus just makes me want to scream along, "I'D WALK THROUGH FIRE FOR YOU! JUST LET ME ADORE YOU!" 
3. "Physical" by Dua Lipa
Man, with these first three songs, it's clear that I really like songs that sound like they're from the 80s. I've been on the Dua Lipa hype train since she first debuted, but even with that in mind, "Physical" blew me away. This is probably my Song of the Year so far, although we're only in February. If we keep getting high-quality songs like we have in these past two months, then who knows what will become my Song of the Year? Anyways, "Physical" is one of those songs where the lyrics don't really matter because it's all about the beat. It's like a modern disco song, with pulsing bass and some string flourishes that make my heart flutter. I love how she cheekily says "Who needs to go to sleep when I got you next to me?" and then that effervescent, soaring chorus comes in. Dua has described her upcoming sophomore record, Future Nostalgia, as "disco-orientated", "nostalgic", and "feeling like a dancercise class", and if it sounds like this and the also-great lead single "Don't Start Now", then I'll just have to give it a listen. 
4. "everything i wanted" by Billie Eilish
I had said before that "when the party's over" was my favorite Billie Eilish song, but then I heard "everything i wanted" and, well, "when the party's over" is still a gorgeous song, but "everything i wanted" surpassed everything I had heard from her. This song is about Billie having a dream about killing herself and all of her friends turn their backs on her, but then she sees her brother and knows he won't let her do that. This song is so special because it shows how close Billie is to her brother, Finneas, but it's universal in its message. Just the thought of the line, "As long as I'm here, no one can hurt you" makes me want to cry. It's such a simple but beautiful sentiment.
5. "Simmer" by Hayley Williams
I remember specifically saying that I needed to listen to more Paramore in 2018. It's been two years and...I have not done that, sadly. Despite that fact, I still instantly gravitated towards "Simmer", the debut solo single from their frontwoman, Hayley Williams. I've always really loved her voice, and while this song isn't a huge vocal showcase, it doesn't need to be. This song is quiet, pent-up rage. I specifically love the way she says "from a f*cker like that man" with so much sheer disgust. I'm excited for what Hayley does next in her solo career, and I hope that sooner rather than later, I'll stop slacking and get into Paramore. 
6. "You should be sad" by Halsey
I like Halsey a lot, even though she can't really sing and can be kind of pretentious. I just like how bold and unafraid she is and how she publicly supports issues like LGBTQ+ and women's rights and mental health awareness. I haven't heard her new album Manic yet, but I really like what I've heard, including the current single, "You should be sad." At first when I saw the title, I thought it was going to be a really weepy, emotional song, but it's actually a song where she belittles her ex for treating her like crap. The lyrics in this song are pretty brutal, with my favorite being "I'm so glad I never ever had a baby with you, 'cause you can't love nothing unless there's something in it for you." I also like how this song has a country style to it. I don't really like country music, but I unexpectedly really like a lot of the country-inspired pop and hip-hop songs to come out recently. Weird. 
7. "The Box" by Roddy Ricch
This has been the #1 song in the country for seven weeks, and I'm not gonna say it's the best song ever written, but I really like it! It got popular on the app TikTok due to an ad-lib where Roddy Ricch makes a sound like a squeaky faucet. I don't use TikTok (I'll probably get an account soon, because there are a lot of almost Vine-like comedy videos that I'd love), but I've noticed that a lot of songs nowadays get popular off of it, and those songs are usually pretty fun. I like the squeaky sound and I like all the different flows Roddy Ricch uses in this song, especially when he says "Imma get lazy." I also like when he says he's "a 2020 president candidate." Genius says that's a reference to his watch, but I can't help but think this rapper that I know nothing about would still make a better candidate than half the people running. Stellar gets political!
8. "Rodeo" by Lil Nas X ft. Nas
I'm not even sure if I love this song or if I just love Lil Nas X. This man is a national treasure and he must be protected at all costs. He was this kid who literally came from nothing but one day, he decided to make a rap song about being a cowboy and proceeded to rule the world. He got everyone talking with his song, asking "Is it rap?" or "Is it country?", and in the middle of all the discussion and popularity of "Old Town Road", he came out as gay. Just think about it: a gay, 20-year-old rapper made a country rap song with Miley Cyrus's dad and it became the biggest song of all time. I can't help but find that pretty awesome. Despite the fact that his song is pretty much legendary, Lil Nas is still down-to-earth and hilarious on Twitter, promising his fans that "when old town road goes diamond i’m sending all my followers a copy of phineas & ferb season 3 on blu ray" and detailing his travel adventures: "in paris and everybody here has 2 legs just like in america." Although I don't like "Rodeo" as much as "Old Town Road" or "Panini", I must do my duty and stream it because I want Lil Nas to succeed because he's funny. 
9. "Good as Hell" by Lizzo
It's odd how despite Lizzo releasing an album last year, all of her most popular songs are from years earlier but are just now gaining steam. "Truth Hurts" came out in 2017 but didn't get big until last summer, and "Good as Hell" was released even earlier, almost four years ago. It started to pick up traction around last fall and eventually peaked at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100. I love this song because it's a girl power anthem, but it's not cliche. When I listen to it, it's like Lizzo is personally right next to me, giving me a pep talk and telling me that I'm awesome. Actually, I don't know if "girl power" is the right term, because I feel like the contagious positive energy this song has is universal. 
10. "ROXANNE" by Arizona Zervas
This song got popular off of TikTok, like "The Box". I actually didn't hear it until not too long ago, but I first knew about it because a kid in my class was always singing it. This is just about the epitome of the "Yeah, it's stupid, but it's catchy!" song. This song is really dumb but it has quite possibly the catchiest chorus I've ever heard. Just reading the word "Roxanne" makes me start singing "Roxanne, Roxanne, all she wanna do is party all night" and it ends up stuck in my head for all of eternity. It's a pretty dumb song, but it's such an earworm that it grew on me. 
11. "Circles" by Post Malone
It felt like in 2018, every time I would do one of these "current favorite songs" posts, I always had a new Post Malone song that I was obsessed with. Honestly, I think I've outgrown a lot of those songs, like "Rockstar", "Psycho", "Better Now", they're fine but not my favorites at this point. I still like Post Malone a fair bit, and I actually feel comfortable in admitting that because he's made a bunch of really good stuff lately. It's like, less hip-hop/trap/rap/whatever you want to call it and more pop rock. This song isn't rap at all, it's more of a chill acoustic kind of song, but it's not boring. The chorus is so good.
12. "Lovely" by Billie Eilish and Khalid
This song came out in 2018, actually, but I'm only getting into it recently. I'm not huge on ballads normally, but this song really stands out to me for its cinematic, moody tone. I really like both Billie and Khalid, and I love the contrast between their voices on this song. I actually think Billie does the lower harmonies for a lot of this song, which is surprising because normally, you'd expect the guy to do the lower parts and the girl to do the higher parts. This song was also featured in 13 Reasons Why, a show I liked until I realized how irresponsibly it handles the issues of depression and suicide. But even though I don't like the show at all, I have to commend 13 Reasons Why for having a fantastic soundtrack. Speaking of that...
13. "Teeth" by 5 Seconds of Summer
I didn't watch season 3 of 13 Reasons Why, so I don't know what sort of context this song has in the show or even really how it's supposed to fit at all. Funny thing is, when I was an edgy middle-schooler, I hated 5 Seconds of Summer because I thought they were a boy band trying to be punk, even though I myself had no knowledge about actual punk rock. (And I still don't, but I'm not gonna act like I do.) However, as I've gotten older, I've started to really love a lot of their newer stuff. I'm not sure how to describe their new style. I guess it's sort of synth-bass-industrial-seriously-I-don't-know-what-you'd-call-it, but whatever it is, I'm a fan. This song is so dark and ominous but I really like it. I like the call and response where it's like, "Fight so dirty but your love's so SWEET! Talk so pretty but your heart's got TEETH!" It brings me joy. 
14. "Better" by Khalid
So, when I talked about Twice and their Feel Special EP, I said one of the reasons why I liked that particular EP so much was because it had a night-drive atmosphere. I said specifically: "It's hard to explain, but certain songs just give me the "driving at night in the big city" vibe and it is one of my favorite feelings in music." I bring this up because this song, "Better" by Khalid, is one of the best night-drive songs I've ever heard. The atmosphere this song has puts me in such a tranquil, easy state of mind. Like the other Khalid song I talked about, "Lovely", this song came out in 2018 but I'm just now getting into it. I guess I'm just gonna be late to the party on every Khalid song. But better late then never. 
15. "Stockholm Syndrome" by One Direction
Similar to 5 Seconds of Summer, I hated One Direction when I was an edgy middle schooler. I thought they were just a group of "pretty boys" who made vapid music, but as I've grown, I've realized that they were so much better than I thought. With songs like "What Makes You Beautiful" and "Best Song Ever", they did the teenybopper pop thing incredibly well, but as they matured, their music matured with them and they started making some genuinely fantastic songs. The aforementioned "Best Song Ever" was my favorite One Direction song for years, but it took "Stockholm Syndrome" only a few listens to replace it. This isn't one of their more famous songs, but it 100% should have been a single. It has an incredible chorus and easygoing vibe. Plus I just learned that Harry cowrote this one...yeah, if his amazing solo work didn't solidify my opinion enough, Harry Styles is easily my favorite 1D member.

I don't really have much to say to end this. Next week's post will be on Saturday, March 7, which is my birthday, I'm talking about Pokemon Sun and Moon because I love it, yada yada I've already said this stuff before. With that being said, I'm Stellar in Neverland and I'll see you next week. Peace! 

No comments:

Post a Comment