Wednesday, February 7, 2018

10 Current Favorite Songs

Hi, I'm Stellar, and welcome to Stellar in Neverland! At the end of last week's post, I stated:

"I'm going to do something different. Not necessarily the topic, but the format and theme are unlike anything I’ve ever done on here."

What was that something different? Well, the 60th Grammy Awards were on Sunday, January 28, 2018. And I watched them, because I like watching music award shows. They're fun to watch because I don't really care about the awards themselves, I just like watching all the performances. However, there was one award snub this year above all else that just made me angry. In the Best Pop Solo Performance category, "Shape of You" by Ed Sheeran beat out "Million Reasons" by Lady Gaga, "What About Us" by Pink, "Love So Soft" by Kelly Clarkson, and most disappointingly, "Praying" by Kesha. My intention for last week's post was to write an essay about why Kesha deserved the Grammy. I wanted to write about how with all the sexual assault cases in the past year, it would've been symbolic to see a song that is very clearly about overcoming those tragic events win the award. I wanted to write about how the Grammys' choosing of the ONE male nominee in the category (with a mediocre song and performance, I might add) over four unbelievably talented women with amazing performances feels sexist. I wanted to write about how unjust it is that a song about a woman surviving truly despicable circumstances and becoming a better person because of them lost to a song where Ed Sheeran sings about hooking up with a girl over the beat to "Cheap Thrills" by Sia. But then I decided it probably wasn't a good idea, because I don't see myself as a thinkpiece writer. If I wrote that post, I would be talking about some really touchy subjects, and I would probably say something stupid that I'd regret. Besides, there are plenty of other thinkpieces on the Internet about Kesha's Grammy robbery and how the Grammys are sexist, so if you want to, read some of those:

Why Kesha Should Have Won the "Best Pop Vocal Performance" Grammy
Women in music deserve more than a forgettable #MeToo moment at the Grammys
All The Times Women Were Robbed Of Awards They Deserved At The 2018 Grammys

So, now that y'all know I'm not writing a thinkpiece...what AM I doing? Taking the simple route and writing about 10 songs I love at the moment. Think of this as a sequel to the Fall 2017 Playlist, with one big difference. The previous playlist focused a lot on "these songs remind me of fall!", but this one is just a bunch of songs I really like listening to at the moment. These aren't really in any particular order, it's just a list of 10 songs I've been obsessed with lately.
How I feel about these songs...

1. "Finesse (Remix) by Bruno Mars ft. Cardi B
I said this list wasn't really in any order, but this one is first because it would be number one if I were properly ranking them. The "Finesse" remix has been in my life for less than two weeks, but in the brief period of time I've known it,  I've probably listened to it fifty times. I've actually never listened to the original, but I know it can't compare to the remix, which is so much fun. The beat is a jamming throwback to '90s hip-hop and Bruno and Cardi are just so charismatic and have so much personality. I can already tell I'll get sick of it at some point, but for now, I can easily say that "Finesse" is my favorite song.
2. "LOVE." by Kendrick Lamar ft. Zacari
I discovered this song from another post I did, the Songs That Deserve More Recognition post from a few weeks ago. Despite there being other songs in that list that got higher scores, this is the one I've come back to most thus far. It's unlike most rap songs I've heard because it is one of the few I would genuinely describe as pretty. It's softer in tone and style than a lot of Kendrick's other stuff, making it a good pick for someone who doesn't like rap but maybe wants to try it. Plus it's just catchy. I've had this song in my head for hours at a time but I'm not complaining. Also in that previously linked post, I said it wasn't as good as "HUMBLE.", which I take back. I mean, "HUMBLE." is still great, but I think I've gotten sick of it. I prefer "LOVE." to "HUMBLE.", but it's not my favorite Kendrick song. That honor goes to...
3. "DNA." by Kendrick Lamar
This one! I had heard about this song in the past, but never fully listened to it until late last year when I was doing a school project. Ever since then, I've had it on repeat. It's a complete banger with not one, but two beats, both of which are insane. The part when the beat switches up made my jaw drop the first time I heard it. It's a banger, but it's actually not mindless rap cliches. In this song, Kendrick talks about how he's proud of his black heritage, and his flow (especially in the second half) is angry and extremely impressive. Part of me wants to learn all the words, but then I realize that I am way too white to do that. Also fun fact: Kendrick performed this at the Grammys, and he opened up the whole thing. My brother told me the Grammys started at 6:30, but I was just like "no, they start at 7, that's just the red carpet preshow!" I turn on the Grammys at 7, only to realize that I missed the first half hour! I went to see if I missed anything, and I saw that I missed the performance of this song, and I was pissed.
4. "Redbone" by Childish Gambino
If you've read my blog for a while, you're probably thinking, "Stellar, this song's been out forever, and you've already talked about it so many times! Why is it here?" *sigh* It is on here because of an Apple commercial. Apple's released a few commercials for their iPhone X and its Animoji feature recently, and they all feature Animojis lip-synching to various songs. I first saw the "Alien" ad, which shows the emojis mouthing along to "Redbone", during the Grammys, and I immediately became obsessed. I have watched this commercial so many times it's not funny. It's just SO CUTE. Plus the song is still a jam and probably always will be. STAY WOKE.
5. "Mercy" by Kanye West, Big Sean, Pusha T, and 2 Chainz
Most of the songs on this list are relatively recent, having been released within the past year. This song was released in 2012, making it the big exception. It's not like this song is super-current, but I've been listening to it quite a bit as of late. I feel like a lot of people wouldn't expect me to be into rap like this, but I'm full of surprises. It's a complete banger that just goes hard every time you listen to it, and despite being over five minutes long, it can keep my attention for its entire runtime. I've gone on quite a few long car trips over the past few months, and I always listen to this song for some reason.
6. "Rockstar" by Post Malone ft. 21 Savage
I know this song's been out for quite a while now and its popularity is starting to fade, but I still like it. I feel like I should hate this song considering that I’ve criticized many songs like it for being boring and generic and the lyrics glamorize doing illegal drugs and shooting up people. Hell, I don’t even know why it’s called “Rockstar” when it’s a trap song with no guitars to be found. But that hook, man. I’ve caught myself singing it to myself on numerous occasions because of how catchy and addictive it is. I also really like when 21 Savage says "They like, 'Savage, why you got a twelve car garage when you only got six cars?'" I just find that hilarious for some reason.
7. "Young, Dumb, and Broke" by Khalid
My birthday's coming up in a few weeks, and for my birthday post, I'm going to describe myself in 16 songs, seeing that I'm turning 16. I bring this up because I am absolutely putting this song on there. The title just describes me so well! Of course, I do love the song itself. I know Khalid is really popular with some of my classmates and even though I've only heard a few songs, I feel comfortable in saying he's worth the hype. His music is chill, laid-back, and relatable, and his voice is so unique and deep. The message of "Young, Dumb, and Broke" basically narrows down to YOLO, but it basically sums up the feelings of your average teen. I first listened to this song late at night on the way home from a long car ride, and I liked it instantly.
8. "Quit" by Cashmere Cat ft. Ariana Grande
I discovered this song because it was in the same playlist as "LOVE." I've actually only listened to it a few times, but I felt it was worth mentioning because I discovered it in the same time period as some other songs on this list. I went more in-depth in that post, but I'll briefly summarize what I said there. "Quit" is a stunning collaboration between my favorite singer and a producer who always seems to bring out the best in her. Ariana sounds gorgeous on this somber EDM ballad about a love she can't let go of, and Cashmere Cat's production is complex and works well with her pretty vocals. Although my play count on this song is low, I predict it will rise over time.
9. "New Rules" by Dua Lipa
I actually planned on putting this on the Fall playlist, but I think I ended up choosing "Havana" by Camila Cabello instead. I still love "Havana", but at the moment, I think I like "New Rules" more. Dua Lipa’s US breakthrough hit is a really catchy banger that I think will be remembered for years to come. Hopefully this is just the start of a long-lasting career for her, because she’s got a unique voice and personality, as well as some excellent pop music from what I’ve heard of it. Also, “if you’re under him, you ain’t getting over him” is one of those lyrics that takes a little bit to get, but is really clever when it hits you.
10. "Perfect" by Ed Sheeran
One of the reasons why I didn't want to do the Kesha thinkpiece was because I might say something that would make it sound like I don't like Ed Sheeran. I mean, I think "Shape of You" is an overrated song that didn't deserve the Grammy, but Ed's got some good songs, like "Perfect". At first I thought this one was just a knockoff of "Thinking Out Loud", but upon repeated listens, I realized that I liked it more than I've ever liked "Thinking Out Loud". It's adorable. The lyrics are so cute and the way Ed sings is so sincere, and the entire song just feels cozy. More than any song on this list, this song reminds me of winter and snuggling by the fire, but that's probably just because of the music video.

So there you have it: ten songs I really like at the moment. This probably isn't my best post, but hey! I can't be great all the time! Next week's post is the second installment of The Stellar Adventures of Catalina in Neverland, my original series of short stories. It's going to be posted on Valentine's Day, and while it won't be a straight-up Valentine's Day special, I do think it will be fitting for the occasion. I'm Stellar in Neverland, and I'll see you then. Peace!

Stellar

No comments:

Post a Comment